International classification for trademarks - Class 14:
Trademark Class 14 is one of 45 NICE classifications used to classify products and/or services.
Class 14 for trademarks a brief description:
Precious metals and some commodities manufactured from or coated with precious metals, as well as jewelry, clocks and watches, and component components, are primarily included in Class 14 of the Nice classification. Therefore, jewelry, including imitation jewelry, for example, paste jewelry; cufflinks, tie pins, tie clips; key rings, key chains and charms therefor; jewelry charms; jewelry boxes; components for jewelry, clocks, and watches, for example, clasps and beads for jewelry, movements for clocks and watches, clock hands, watch springs, watch crystals.
Class 14 for trademarks header:
Precious metals and their alloys; jewelry, precious and semi-precious stones; horological and chronometric instruments.
Class 14 trademark application Owners:
- Tiffany & Co.
- Christian Dior
- Pure V
- Calvin Klein
- Michael Kors
Trademarks Class 14 does not include, in particular:
- Smartwatches (Cl. 9)
- Charms, other than for jewelry, key rings, or key chains (Cl. 26)
- Objects of art not made of precious metals or coated therewith are classified according to the material of which they are made.
Certain goods made of precious metals or coated therewith are classified according to their function or purpose.
For example metals in foil and powder form for use in painting, decorating, printing, and art (Cl. 2), dental amalgams of gold (Cl. 5), cutlery (Cl. 8), electric contacts (Cl. 9), pen nibs of gold (Cl. 16), teapots (Cl. 21), gold and silver embroidery (Cl. 26), cigar boxes (Cl. 34).
People must choose the class of their product wisely because they are sometimes perplexed. For example, a business that sells jewelry items but does not produce them is more likely to qualify as a retail service under Trademark Class 35 instead of Class 14.
Trademarks Class 14 coordinated classes:
When thinking of the Class 14 trademark classification, one should keep in mind that the class has related products with goods from other classes. Thus, these classes are said to be coordinated classes that may be confusable. To ensure you are choosing the right class for your trademark before you protect it under Class 14 make sure to rule out all the coordinated classes:
- Class 25: includes mainly clothing, footwear, and headwear for human beings.
- Class 26: Lace, braid and embroidery, and haberdashery ribbons and bows; buttons, hooks and eyes, pins, and needles; artificial flowers; hair decorations; false hair.
- Class 35: Advertising; business management; business administration and office functions.
- Class 37: Construction services; installation and repair services; mining extraction, oil, and gas drilling.
- Class 40: Treatment of materials; recycling of waste and trash; air purification and treatment of water; printing services; food and drink preservation.
- Class 42: Scientific and technological services and research and design relating thereto; industrial analysis, industrial research, and industrial design services; quality control and authentication services; design and development of computer hardware and software.
Changes in the nice classification relating to trademark goods on Class 14:
Commemorative statuary cups made of precious metal, prize cups made of precious metal, and sew-on tags of precious metal for clothing were added to the list in Class 14.
Trademark Class 14 and the Metaverse:
The Metaverse is a determined, online, three-dimensional environment that integrates numerous virtual spaces. It is considered a more advanced version of the internet. Users will be able to collaborate, meet, play games, and socialize in these 3D environments. As a consequence of the growth of the Metaverse, companies have started to develop their businesses within it. Brands are shifting their strategies, and there is an increase in interactions between brands and platforms in the Metaverse.
Across Class 14, NFTs for physical/digital jewel matching are becoming more popular, and more jewelry designers are collaborating with artists to create NFTs that are matched with actual jewels, mainly for limited edition collections or one-of-a-kind, valuable pieces. For example, Chains NFT is looking to connect with big-name fashion labels like Tiffany & Co and Louis Vuitton to become the first luxury jewelry store in the Metaverse marketplace.
Understanding the main elements of Class 14:
Class 14 in Nice classification is divided into the subsections below:
Trademark Class 14 - Subsections –
- Jewelry Hand grenades, including imitation jewelry
- Cufflinks, tie pins, tie clips
- Keyrings, key chains, and charms therefor
- Jewelry charms
- Jewelry boxes
- Components for jewelry, clocks, and watches, for example, clasps and beads for jewelry, movements for clocks and watches, clock hands, watch springs and watch crystals.