Summary of the guide:
- Laws relating to Trademark in Egypt
- Trademark renewal process in Egypt
- What authority is responsible for trademark renewals in Egypt?
- How long does it take to get a trademark renewal in Egypt?
- Costs for trademark renewal in Egypt
- What are the penalty charges for late renewal in Egypt?
- How long is a trademark protected for?
- When does the protection of a trademark in Egypt start?
- When can I renew my trademark in Egypt?
- What is the grace period for trademark renewal in Egypt?
- What are the documents required for trademark renewal in Egypt?
- What are important deadlines for trademark renewal in Egypt?
- What happens if I forget to renew my trademark in Egypt?
- Local tips for trademark renewal in Egypt
- Service level guarantee for trademark registration in Egypt
Laws relating to Trademark in Egypt
In Egypt, the law governing trademarks is Law No. 82 of 2002 on Trademarks and Geographical Indications. This law outlines the regulations and procedures for registering, preserving, and defending trademarks in Egypt.
Trademark renewal process in Egypt
Trademark renewal involves obtaining accurate details of the trademark, submitting the filing date and number to the trademark office, completing documents accurately, and submitting official fees. The trademark office then examines the application submitted, ensures that all the fees are accurate and complete, then issues a renewal certificate. If the applicant did not submit a power of attorney at filing the renewal certificate will not be issued until the power is submitted. Arabic is the language used to renew trademarks in Egypt.
What are the penalty charges for late renewal in Egypt?
If you forget to renew your trademark before the expiry date, you have a chance to renew it within a grace period. The grace period for renewal in Egypt is six months from the expiry date and penalty charges are around USD10. If the trademark in Egypt is renewed within the grace period, then the owner will have to settle penalty fees.
When does the protection of a trademark in Egypt start?
In Egypt, the protection of a trademark starts from the date of registration and lasts for ten years from the filing date. Trademark protection can be renewed for successive periods of ten years by filing a renewal application with the Trademark Office within the last year of the protection period.
What are the documents required for trademark renewal in Egypt?
The required documents for renewing a trademark in Egypt are:
- A copy of the trademark certificate which needs to be renewed. This does not have to be in color, a simple copy is sufficient.
- A power of attorney given to whoever you are designating to represent you at the trademark office. Late filing of the power of attorney is possible.
If you are a local company, the power of attorney can be signed and notarized.
If you are not a resident of Egypt, then the power of attorney needs to be legalized.
If you need help preparing the documents needed refer to the Templates and forms
What happens if I forget to renew my trademark in Egypt?
If you forget to renew your mark before the expiration date, then you have a six-month grace period to renew the trademark. Renewing a trademark in the grace period yields penalty charges. Failing to renew a trademark in Egypt will entitle anyone interested in the mark to cancel it from the register and protect it in their name.
Service level guarantee for trademark renewal in Egypt
We have individually vetted all trademark agents, and have provided them with a proprietary system owned by Easy Trademarks to guarantee the level of service you will receive. Trademark agents are English and will respond to all renewal queries within 2 business days. If the documents and fees are settled and there are no outstanding matters which have been communicated, then Easy Trademarks will guarantee customer satisfaction; otherwise, if our services were not acceptable we will refund all of our professional fees for the service rendered. Remember to choose the package you want. If you are not a lawyer, we recommend you choose the premium package. If you require approval from management, you can print this page and obtain approvals.