What cannot be registered as a trademark?
Trademarks are jurisdictional rights; therefore, each country/jurisdiction can provide a certificate relating to a trademark and protect it. Therefore, whether or not a trademark can be registered depends on the specific trademark law / Intellectual property law of the country.
In general, the below can't be registered as trademarks;
• A mark having no property or distinctive character;
• A mark that is generic, or simply a name given by tradition to familiar goods, products, services or the ordinary drawings and pictures of goods and products;
• A mark when used results in undervaluing other products or services distinguished by such mark;
• A mark which is deemed just a translation for a famous mark;
• A mark which has already been registered by another party. if such a registration would confuse the consumers.
You can check out our blog on Cristiano-Ronaldo-dance-move-trademark